Literatimommy

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Modern Day "Rich Man and Lazarus"

Lately, I have been completely shocked and disheartened by the savage rhetoric concerning the healthcare reform. To quote Barney Frank "There are many reasonable people with good reasons to be against it." I am not 100% for healthcare reform, and to be honest, I really don't care much about it at all. I don't think insurers should be allowed to drop cancer patients, nor should they be able to deny coverage for preexisting conditions like cancer, diabetes nor asthma. (As of today, they cannot due to the legislation).

However, what disturbs me and offends my Christian sensibilities is the rhetoric and treatment of peoples involved in the discussion.

Before you read on, check out this video of a man with Parkinson's who is taunted by people who disagree with healthcare reform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxCfLwUsUtM&feature=youtube_gdata

Did you make it through the whole video? I'd be surprised if it didn't make you ill. I personally felt sick. It reminded me of a modern day playing out of The Rich Man and Lazarus. If you've forgotten the story, here it is.

Text
Luke 16:19-31
[19] "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. [20] At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores [21] and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
[22] "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. [23] In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. [24] So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'
[25] "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. [26] And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'
[27] "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, [28] for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
[29] "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'
[30] " 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
[31] "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "


First, I want to be clear about what I am not saying. I am NOT saying that if you do not support health care, you are going to hell. I am NOT saying that in order to get into heaven, you should desire adequate health care for ever person on the planet paid for by our government.

I am saying that these protesters actually treated the man with Parkinson's disease WORSE than the Rich Man treated Lazarus. The Rich Man only ignored Lazarus, these men actually hurl taunts and insults at the disease ridden man who is (begging) for healthcare. Lazarus was sent to hell for his treatment of the beggar....you can draw your own conclusions about what our Lord must think of those who hurl insults like these at a beggar.

If this were an isolated incident, I would chalk it up to mistakes being made out of anger. But it is not. Repeatedly, those on the Right, Republicans, have acted similarly. Check out these confirmed incidents in the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/opinion/23herbert.html?src=me&ref=homepage

Spitting on a man while hurling racial and bigoted comments? Surely the Right, who has been repeatedly drilled in my mind as "Christian", can do BETTER than this!

Disagree with healthcare if you want: there are many reasons why you might not like it. But for goodness sakes, PLEASE don't be so hateful. If the Republican Right claims to be Christian, accept responsibility for this, repent, and move forward in a loving manner. Find ways to civilly disagree with the current administration. Write letters. Discuss in small groups. Pray to our Lord. But we should never treat another human this way, esp. if we consider ourselves Christian. And the link between Republicans and Christians has been welded into my brain. All Christians should know how the story ended with Lazarus. It should be a lesson in caring for and loving those God puts in our path.

3 Comments:

Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

thanks Jodi for helping me see the "entire" picture - I'm so proud of you..

4:28 PM  
Blogger Nicole B said...

you totally hit the nail on the head for me (this is something Cody and I discuss all the time)...the republican right DOES claim to be Christian...but a lot of their policy is SOOOOOOOO not anything close to Christlike. It's disheartening that some only want to be Christians as long as it doesnt impact their own paycheck.

On the same hand...a lot of the Democratic left policy is more Christlike (healthcare, immigration, etc)...but then they support policy that is very obviously not inline with Christian beliefs (abortion, gay marriage).

So what's a voter to do?

7:16 AM  
Blogger 1literatimommy said...

I totally agree nic., about the left versus the right! I personally think that not feeling at home with any political party means you and Cody are doing a good job trying to live out your faith....so not easy! :) I just read a verse today that convicted me personally about beliefs I have held on the left, that I cannot have anymore (Romans 1). It is so hard to iron it all out. :)

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home