Literatimommy

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Weekend In The Shack

My parents had the kiddos this weekend while we escaped to the Westlake Mariott. It was a very nice hotel, and we paid for the trip with Mike's miles. (in other words, it was FREE!) I've had a few people recommend The Shack by William P. Young, so I went to Barnes and Noble and bought it. I was worried about buying and reading it, because the premise of the book is very dark, and the book deals with the tough questions faced by those of real faith. For instance, why do bad things happen to the helpless, and where is God when these things occur. Although the plot revolves around this, truthfully the book is more like taking a strenuous hike up a mountain, only to encounter a dilapadated old Shack that is built of your own fears, hang ups and worries. This is the fertile ground--made of doubt and worry--where God choses to meet the main character, and to be honest, all of us if we are awake enough to notice. Without giving too much away, I literally felt like I was in the presence of God while reading this book, and this book gave me a lot of insight to difficult biblical problems, like the nature of the relationship between Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit. It also assauged my fears because frequently, I feel like I have nothing in common with today's evangelical movement that screams morality and shoves the ten commandments down society's throat. I have wondered over the last eight years if I even am a Chrstian in the traditional sense of the word. Not that I don't believe, I believe so much in Jesus and God that it actually hurts sometimes. I yearn for his presence, but sometimes he feels so far from me. I learned from this book that my emotions have nothing to do with the presence of our King, that Jesus is like a big brother who adores us, and that the Holy Spirit is constantly at work in my soul. I learned that God is especially fond of...everyone. That annoying person down the street...God adores her. The rude lady who cut you off in traffic...she is one of his favorites. And, the rude person next to you in the restaraunt is God's Child. He loves us all. He has no expectations for us, he is not disappointed in us when we fail to produce the fruits of the spirit, and no one is righteous among us, NOT ONE of us! I learned forgiveness is a powerful weapon in the fight against sadness, and once forgiveness begins to occur, in the face of the rage and sorrow of the past, hope and love can grow. This book was amazing. I feel closer to God, now, and I am certain that the heaven of my dreams will be a reality someday. If you have time, and the emotional energy to dwell in His presence, read this book. I am warning, though, while I was laying out at the pool, there were several times I cried into a towel while people tried not to stare. Ironically, I was approached by two other people who were reading the book and described it as life changing. The climb to the shack is exhausting, and facing the house your fears and anger built isn't easy, but it is well worth the trip!

3 Comments:

Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

Wow - Jodi - now I have to read that book - I'll pick one up tomorrow!!! You are so amazing!!!!

1:40 PM  
Blogger jenny biz said...

I started that book last night!! I can't wait to finish it!!

3:59 PM  
Blogger The Brown Family said...

Wow, I'm so interested that you got so much from that book. I just finished it and didn't like it -- we'll have to talk.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home