Literatimommy

Thursday, June 28, 2007

World's Greatest Mom

Sure, you may think you have the World's Greatest Mom, but let me assure you, my mother takes the prize in this area. I have a long list of ways she has shown me love, and been an excellent Christian example for me. The first most amazing thing about our relationship is that it is entirely unique, and not based at all on her experience with her mother. Her birth mother gave her up, along with her sister. Then, her father had to place her in a children's home because he couldn't care for her. He quickly remarried, to literally the worst step mom in history. (Comparing her to Hansel and Gretel's step mother or Cinderella's step mom would be kind). Still, my mother was kind and compassionate with this woman until the day she died. When she had me, her first child, at twenty five, she only had her gut and the bible to go on. She daily modeled Christ's love to me. I am so blessed that she didn't have a Christian woman paradigm on which to base my rearing. She used the best example available to all women: Jesus Christ and his love for us. I am still so close to her; my children beg her to move in with us! I love her so much, and I am so thankful God blessed me with such a great mom. I was struck by this article in the New York Times: click on it if you have a moment.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/fashion/28mommy.html?ei=5087%0A&em=&en=d21df09bdbd6e1d4&ex=1183176000&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1183062347-k9W3T/qAs/YbDYtBpeRnrA

3 Comments:

Blogger Cody said...

Truly, she is the best mom ever. I take so much pride in her strength at stopping a cycle that began before her. She had it rough and we have had it great. I know God is proud of how she has handled herself too. She's a beautiful mother and person, and wise beyond her years. Love you mom!

2:26 PM  
Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

It is truly I that is the lucky one - I've always said, "God corrected me getting rotten parents by giving me a GREAT FAMILY". My heart was really hard before I had you two, and now I can truly love - I really believe all you have to do to be a good parent is love your kids - and I DO!! I love the extended family too!!! You are the greatest!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Margaret K said...

What an awesome mom you have! How great that she didn't succumb to the saddness of her upbringing.

That is a great article, too!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home