Literatimommy

Saturday, December 01, 2007

A Quiet House

One main reason why I take classes at UTA is because I love to read, and I knew that if I wasn't accountable for it, I wouldn't take the time for myself to do something I love. Unfortunately, I think all women do this to some degree; neglect themselves to take care of others. I don't know why we do this, but it is true. (Although, in the sense of gender equality, maybe men do it to. I know I have seen Mike skip many Astros games to help me with the kids.) Today is a prime example of how I love to take classes at UTA. I am working on my paper about The Giver today, and the house is empty, quiet, free of coughing, sneezing, crying, laughing, tv noises, telephone calls (I unplugged it!) music, any sound except for my own breath and the sound my fingers make as I type this. I can THINK again. I am so thankful for this time. Alone time. As much as I adore my children, and find them so special and wonderful gifts from God, as a mother it is often the quiet time alone that I crave most. I am well aware that in the not so distant future, I will have a silent home and all the time I care to take to think. Then, I am sure my thoughts will drive me insane. I will long for voices, crying, tvs, and coughing and sneezing. But for now, I am cherishing the few hours I have alone to think about books.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Renee said...

I totally agree. I think there needs to be a balance at whatever point you are in, in your life. I think often too that there will be a time I long for this time again in my life. The sounds of a baby's cry has already escaped me and its been less than two years! But again, I think everyone needs a few moments of alone time just to stay sane! Every moment regardless of the type, is a gift from God. I am glad you are enjoying yours this day! BTW, I miss you...........

9:39 AM  
Blogger Nicole B said...

Silence is but a distant memory...

10:03 PM  
Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

Never feel guilty for doing what you love - you are a great mother and your life is balanced. Thank you for sharing your kids with the grandparents - there is nothing greater than being a nana and papa! But, even we like an occasional quite moment.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home