Literatimommy

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Feeling Guilty About The Gifts? Don't!

Our preacher, Drew Sherman, and another preacher, Bo Chancy, have written an advent/ devotional book to help us focus our attention on Christ this season. Most Christian know the origins of the actual holiday, Christmas. After growing up in the old school C of C, I have known for a long time about the pagan element of Christmas. As I wrote last year, we celebrated Christmas growing up: my parents enjoyed it! In our church life, Christmas was acknowledged, but not really celebrated in any service around Christmas. Their thesis was that as Christians, we celebrate Christ's birth everyday. This is true, too. But, Drew's theory, which he illuminates through 25 short devotionals focused on the Biblical account of Jesus's birth, is that of course it is great to celebrate Christmas, and we should celebrate the greatest event in human history, the birth of God's only son into the world. This book has been a real blessing to my scrooge heart. I always feel guilty about presents. About spending too much. About not spending enough. About how much money we actually spend on Christmas. But, I am going to retype the Dec. 23rd devotion about Christmas entitled "The Gifts", because it really moved me this Christmas. Consider it my gift to you this Christmas Eve.

From Portraits of Christmas by Drew Sherman and Bo Chancy. pgs. 149-151

"On coming to the house, they saw the child and his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshipped him. Then, they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh." Matt. 2:11

"Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." Eph. 5:1

I love talking with kid's at this time of year....I enjoy asking them questions. I like to start with, "What is the meaning of Christmas?" The universal response is almost always, "GIFTS!"

Now for some Christians, that response is alarming and would incite an immediate rebuke. I, on the other hand, encourage the children. I let them know that Christmas is all about the gifts. It started with the perfect present, the gift of a Father offering His Son. God initiated gift-giving on the very first Christmas when He gave the gift of salvation to the world.

Modern day gift-giving provides us with a great reminder and a wonderful teaching tool to instruct on the true meaning of Christmas. Christmas is the provision of the perfect gift. When we give gifts to each other, we are imitating our Heavenly Father by blessing those we love. It gives us the opportunity to experience the joy and blessings of giving.

Christmas is absolutely about the gifts. The Magi knew that. They traveled from afar to bring gifts to the newly born King. They brought what was precious to them and made their offering as an act of worship. The gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh were appropriate gifts to offer a king.

I think the Magi had the right idea. Wouldn't you like to give God a gift this Christmas? Have you ever wondered what He would want? What could we possibly give the almighty God?

There really is only one answer. We give Him our lives. That is what God desires. Our perfect gift to God is a surrendered heart and an obedient life. Go ahead and splurge this Christmas and Give yourself completely to God.

Prayer for Today

"Father, on Christmas Eve I thank you for the gift of Jesus. I praise you for your generosity and I want to discover the joy of giving in my life. Help me see the gifts in proper prospective this Christmas. I offer myself to you. My gift to you is me. Merry Christmas!"

3 Comments:

Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

Oh Jodi - I think this is my favorite blog - you are the sweetest loving person I know, thank you for writing this blog! I needed this...

2:37 PM  
Blogger 1literatimommy said...

I feel so blessed by our preacher's book, Portraits of Christmas. It has been a real inspiration, and this blog is an exact copy of the text from the book. Glad Drew's word's spoke to you, too! :)

5:33 PM  
Blogger bettysue said...

Awe, I liked that. It is truly the perfect insight during this season. Thank you for sharing that, I needed to read it,

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home