Literatimommy

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Mike and I will celebrate our 12th anniversary tomorrow! YEAH!!!! I am in awe that God has blessed us with 12 years--15 if you count the years we dated, which I do. We celebrated over a plate of steaming hot enchiladas and chicken soft tacos at Chuy's, Mike's favorite restaurant. I managed to eat my own weight in chips and salsa. Then, we spent a very long time shopping at the outlet's in Allen. Lastly, and most importantly, we went to Sprinkles cupcakes in Dallas, and I finally tasted the greatness that is a chocolate peanut butter cupcake. Holy cow, they are, as Aunt Lisa puts it, totally worth the calories. N and P have the kiddos for the weekend. We didn't actually travel anywhere this year, mostly because my tuition for school is due, and it is very expensive this semester as I had to pay for 6 hours in order to defend my thesis. If it is not finished by May, I will have to repay for it. That totally stinks. So, in light of this, we opted for a toned down celebration. In honor of our 12 anniversary, I am going to write down 12 things I have learned from my 12 great years of marriage.

1. Never leave your house after a fight with your husband to go and get rawhides for your new dog and a six pack of beer at Randalls for you if you aren't absolutely sure you didn't leave your wallet at home with your husband.

2. Do not lie to your husband when you are moving to another town if he lives in that town about how many boxes you have packed. He will find out that you have been laying on the sofa eating Krispy Kremes and potato chips when he comes up to load the trailer so you can move to the new town with him!

3. Do not ever yell obsenities at your husband as he works late at his job. Around midnight, he will tire of your tantrums and put you on speaker phone. Everyone will not be amused when you threaten to blow up the building.

4. Do not lie to your husband and try to look loving and unselfish by assuring him you really, absolutely, 100% Do NOT WANT a Valentine's Day gift because he has been working 80 hour weeks as Valentine's Day approaches. He will believe you, and ruin your first married Valentine's Day. Take this rule and apply it to everything. Be honest. If you are selfish, come clean: he can't divorce you if he is Church of Christ or Baptist, and you'll get great presents for each holiday.

5. Do not send your husband off with your Father on a skiing adventure because you really would rather shop in Santa Fe and assume he will come back uninjured.

6. When your husband has surgery to repair his skiing injury, and your are sick of his every request and need for help, do not park close to other cars and laugh to yourself as he struggles to get out of the car. This is not funny and you will feel guilty about it, and he will remind you about it forever.

7. Do not go in with your parents and trick your husband by telling him your parents are buying the home next door just to see his reaction. He will not laugh, and it is not funny to joke about stuff like that!

8. When someone compliments your husband, do not make gagging noises. It is not amusing to anyone but you.

9. When your husband returns from long business trips, do not ask right where the hell your gift is.

10. Do not hit the newspaper or try to take it away when your husband is reading it.

11. Do not say that it is the worst Christmas ever in a loud voice where others can hear the first Christmas you spend with his family.

12. Do not call him yuck mouth and swear you will not kiss him after the dentist says he could have gengivitis. Karma or something will come back and get you and you will have a huge number of cavities that will help you remember to keep your mean mouth closed.

13. Mike asked me to add this one. Don't change the channel every time sports comes on the news or anything else. His sighs are not sighs of adoration. He is totally annoyed.

Happy Anniversary, babe. I love you!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sidney said...

haha! Thank you for the great advice! I will have to use some of it (esp the sports one)!!!
Happy Anniversary!!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

THank you for making me laugh today! Happy Anniversary! By the way...love the new car!

11:56 AM  
Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

Jodi, that's so funny - Did Mike laugh at your 12 top mistakes? I think they are great - Maybe in May I'll add a few better ones????

4:40 PM  
Blogger Nicole B said...

seriously great post. I laughed out loud at some of them!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

You make me hurt laughing! Happy Anniversary! Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas too! I just love your family and feel so blessed to know all of you. I feel very lucky to have been a part of your union and can't believe it was twelve years ago! I think about that day everytime I drive through Post. Miss you Jodi Jane...

5:56 AM  
Blogger Lisa Marie said...

This is greatness! I think this is your most fab post ever!!!! You need to write a book!

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home