Literatimommy

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Wise Children

One of the greatest things for me about taking classes at UTA is getting time to read and think alone. This last semester, I sat out because Molly, Jack and Mike needed me. Molly needed to be older, and Jack needed mommy time, and Mike needed me to be here to help him with the kiddos, so I sat out. And, I have been not myself, a little uninspired, a little lonely for books and thought. So, in preparation for my first class, I am attempting to read Hermeneutics Ancient and Modern. I have learned that Hermeneutics is the study of textual approaches and thought to the Bible, as well as all texts (think The Odyssey, Plato, ect). (Mike Cope on his blog preachermike.com is studying Hermeneutics. My hubbie calls it Dyanetics, and asks me frequently if I am studying L. Ron Hubbard. Insert Scientology joke here!) Anyway, I am always amazed at how the spirit of God works in me while I am reading these texts. I usually pray before I begin, because frequently literary theorist and philosophers of the modern age refuse to recognize God as a supreme being. They argue that there is no truth. This, to me, is entering a spiritual war zone. Still, even in these temptestous waters, God reveals himself to me. Today, while I was reading, the author, Mr. Bruns, cites the Odyssey where Telemechus, Odysseus's son, recognizes Odysseus after his father has been away for twenty years. The exact quote for the Odyssey goes, "It is a wise child that knows his father." Bruns continues by saying, "This is how ones self-knowledge takes shape." How cool! By recognizing our heavenly father, we become wise children who begin to know ourselves better. I am sure Gerald L. Bruns would hate this interpretation of his interpretation of text. (If this sounds wordy, welcome to my world!) But I don't care! My prayer for all of us is that we would be wise children, like God's son, Jesus, who recognized his heavenly father. It is only through this recognition that true self-knowledge can occur!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Renee said...

You are too smart for me! I have not thought about any of that stuff since I was forced to read it in Junior High, The Oddysey I mean. Anyhoo... I like how you have found God in EVERYTHING you read despite the author. That was really neat to see the parallel with our earthly and heavenly Father in that interpretation. You are such an amazing person Jodi. I am SO glad God brought you into my life and that we have continued this relationship. Your litterary wisdom is encouraging to me.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Amy C said...

I am not much of a reader because of the mistruth I often find. I find your perspective on literature facinating. I love the way you used even the words of an unbeliever as an analogy to "self knowledge" of us as children of God. If only we remembered to seek God the father to truly know ourselves, we would all be more healthy and whole humans. How very observant of you.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It has always been frustrating to me as well to see the literary world has turned their back on our Creator. However, I am so impressed that you have been able to use your study and your gift of knowledge as a means to grow closer to God. That definitely takes so depth of character and depth of understanding of God's supreme position in our lives.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

I think this post was written in a foreign language! I did like the part about God. :> Love you, my smart friend!

4:34 PM  
Blogger angie c said...

huh?

smarty pants...

:)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home