Literatimommy

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Molly Ann is turning 1 this week!

This time a year ago, I was huge, nervous, and very, very pregnant. I had to leave my son, Jack, for the first time in a long time to go to the hospital to have Molly. Molly's actual birthday is the 15th! Around the 9th month of my pregnancies, I always spent time thinking of Mary, Jesus's mother. I thought of her journey (it must have been terribly uncomfortable). I thought of her new husband, Joseph, who married her knowing she was pregnant. I always wonder what was he thinking through all this. I think of Mary, giving birth in a barn, surrounded by animals. There was no more room for her in the inn. My own experience was so far from this. It went something like, give me drugs and more drugs! I also remember laboring, if you can call being in a clean airconditioned room almost void of discomfort laboring. I think of this time, I spent in prayer for my daugther, Molly, that she would arrive safely and healthy, which she did. I know it might sound weird, but I actually felt more close to God that day than I ever have. I was in a helpless situation. In childbirth, a women either gives birth eventually or dies. As Americans who have access to good health care, I think we forget the danger childbirth has always presented. I also spent a lot of time thanking God that I had access to a healthy, comfortable, relatively easy birth. I think of Mary's birth. No where in the Bible does it say she had a midwife. She was laboring alone. Except for one thing. Perhaps the biggest one thing a human can ever have. God was with her. There was never a doubt in her mind that she was safe. She was carrying the most precious cargo the world has ever known. She was carrying the saviour of the world! And, all of the scriptures point to the fact that she was a girl of extraordinary faith. So, she labored and gave birth to a healthy baby boy. Thank God she did. And, in a much smaller world view, thank you God for Molly and my healthy delivery. My prayer for the next year is that God will be with Molly as he has been this year. Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It is an amazing blessing to go through childbirth. Molly is a precious girl and I pray that she will continue in health and being surrounded by love throughout her second year.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

This is beautiful Jodi! What thoughts. I think all I thought was...when will this be over?! You are a much better woman.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

I can't believe she is turning one! She is so pretty, those big beautiful blue eyes! She is a gift and I too thank God that you delivered her safely. My epidural did not work with Liv so I was screaming my head off pretty much from an 8 on! After that I don't remember much except just balling and holding her. I am so thankful to have been in a hospital surrounded by medical personnel and my very supportive Trent. I don't know that I could have done it in those times of Mary. How did any of those women get through it!

1:57 PM  
Blogger angie c said...

You made me cry. I thought of such selfish things before my delivery. It never crossed my mind what Mary went through compared to our childbirth today. It's so easy to get caught up in the excitement and forget about the one that made our healthy babies. Thanks for sharing.

I hope we can come to see you guys on Saturday...we're planning on it. Can't wait! Happy birthday Molly! She's SO cute!!!

4:23 PM  
Blogger astromack33 said...

I love both of my girls very much! You are a wonderful mother, with a sweet spirt. Although sometimes that spirt can be a bit wild - and I have seen that same wild sprit in little sweet Molly as well! I am glad Molly has you to model after and look forward to seeing her grow. It is hard to say goodbye to the little baby she was just one year ago, but I am glad God entrusted us to care for Molly for Him!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Amy C said...

Happy birthday Molly. One of my favorite Christmas songs is Mary's Song. I am sure you love it too. I love to think about that too. What a sweet blessing to share in common. Well, sort of, minus the hay and what not.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home