Literatimommy

Friday, January 23, 2009

My Favorite Lentil Soup Recipe

I have been making this super easy, super cheap lentil soup recipe that I made up. I want to share it because it is perfect for the cold weather we are supposed to have on Saturday. And, it is really, really cheap. Lentils are less than one dollar at Walmart for a whole package. For this recipe, you'll need:

1 cup of dry lentils, rinsed well
1 package of lipton soup, mushroom and onion
1/4 c each of chopped celery, carrots and onions
1 small package of mushrooms (or not if you hate them)
1 clove of garlic
a splash of olive oil to give the soup richness
crushed black pepper to taste
sprinkle of cayenne if you like it hot

Okay, you just mix it all up with three cups of water. Let it boil covered for 45 minutes to one hour, and then you have enough fresh soup to last the week. I put salsa on mine because I love salsa, and it gives it a little zip. Also, lentils are excellent for you and so are mushrooms. Mushrooms evidently have anti-cancer properties--so do onions.
Hope you guys try it and like it.

3 Comments:

Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

Jodi,I tried it and loved it!!!! Thanks for sharing!

3:42 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

That sounds great- and it's freezing here! I'll definitely have to try it.

10:04 AM  
Blogger bettysue said...

You just boil it 45 minutes to an hour? Is it done?? I hate mushrooms, I don't care how healthy they are!
I'll try it this week!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home