Literatimommy

Friday, February 06, 2009

A February Christmas Poem

One different byproduct of my life is poetry. I was going to throw away my gradebook for TCC, but I found this poem that I want to record before I chunk the gradebook. I find things I write a lot at weird times--I should really get a journal and staple it to me. But, alas, I cannot. Here it is, reworked a bit:

Christmas to me

Christmas to me isn't the beginning or the ending,
But it is miraculous!
The creator and king--tiny and helpless,
Held in the hands of the created.
To unbelieving hearts, it is downright perverse that a King would stoop to save.
He became so vulnerable, his infant head pulsed with life.
His mother, not more than a child herself,
Cuddling the one whom the seas obey.
Yet, he could not form a word,
Only gurgle a quiet plea for warmth or milk or comfort.
A woman--a girl really,
deciphering his every need.
A man, full of belief, but unsure of his role
as much as any new father is.
For that unmarked day in history brought:
A cure for the incurable,
Hope for the growing dispair,
A savior, whose sacrifice began as he emerged in a quiet stable in Bethlehem,
And as God filled his sweet new lungs with breath.

6 Comments:

Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:57 PM  
Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

you are so ammazing - you will be famous ....i know with my entire heart you will be - .i'm so glad you are my child - truly i know how mary felt...

4:57 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

That is beautiful. You can just imagine yourself right there where it all came to life.

12:31 PM  
Blogger 1literatimommy said...

Thanks, Sid! And mom, I've always wondered just how Mary might have felt and what she was thinking. I think of it often: it must have been so amazing.

1:10 PM  
Blogger bettysue said...

Whoa! How absolutely beautiful and tender! Truly, Jodi, you have been blessed with a gift. God did not give you the gift and then you not use it! Please, please, keep a journal. If for no one else but your children!!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

Beautiful...

LOVED your last post.. You ARE a boy!!! One of the most eccentric people I have ever known but really all the more reasons I love you! You definately have that girly thing down toooo.... maybe that came later in life!

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home