Literatimommy

Thursday, August 03, 2006

13 favorite writings

1. Bible (it's a given)
2. Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich (novel)
3. Julius Caesar by Shakespeare (play)
4. MacBeth by Shakespeare (play)
5. "I Will Return" by Claude McKay (poem)
6. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (novel)
7. "Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman (book of poetry)
8. Any poem by W.B. Yeats
9. Hank the Cowdog books
10. The Blue Jay's Dance by Louise Erdrich (biographical account of childbirth/infants first year)
11. Any Harry Potter book by J.K.Rowling
12. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (novel)
13. Hills like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway (short story)

Here is a list of my favorite readings of all time! What books do you love? (Books on CD count, Amy C!) I am going to post the poem by Claude McKay, it paints a beautiful picture!

"I Shall Return"

I shall return again; I shall return
To laugh and love and watch with wonder-eyes
At golden noon the forest fires burn,
Wafting their blue-black smoke to sapphire skies.
I shall return to loiter by the streams
That bathe the brown blades of the bending grasses,
And realize once more my thousand dreams
Of waters rushing down the mountain passes.
I shall return to hear the fiddle and fife
Of village dances, dear delicious tunes
That stir the hidden depths of native life,
Stray melodies of dim remembered runes.
I shall return, I shall return again,
To ease my mind of long, long years of pain

This poem always makes me think of heaven, and how it will feel to be there with our Lord. Although, Claude McKay was remembering Jamaica when he lived in New York.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pearson Family said...

Umm...the bible. That is the only book other than Hank the Cow dog I have read on your list. I am such a loser. My love...Junie B. Jones. Pick one of those up and dive into great literature.

8:41 PM  
Blogger 1literatimommy said...

Love Junie B. Jones. she so captures the mind of a first grader. Plus Junie is a little onery.

5:59 AM  
Blogger astromack33 said...

Ah yes, the Bard. I would have to say that my favorite is Hamlet, because he is so crazy but he has such great lines, or possibly Henry V, if just for the St Crispin's Day speech.

Of course you know how I devour HP. I think these are the only novels I have read more than once. And I will be reading book 6 again to brush up before 7 comes out.

Other authors I have enjoyed in the past few years, Vonnegut, Grisham, Irving.

And thanks for introducing me to Holden and his story.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Amy C said...

Thanks for giving me a shout out, but seriously, pretty much only the bible on CD, but I could get into poetry as well, I enjoyed the one you quoted. It was beautiful.

7:24 AM  
Blogger amerriman said...

I haven't read a book in over a year! I am looking forward to the days I can start reading again. Your blog makes me miss reading, such an inspiration! Okay, I do read the bible, but I haven't had a chance with any others in awhile!

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home