Literatimommy

Monday, July 10, 2006

Funny VBS story

Because of VBS, Mike and I were comparing VBS stories. I think I have the funniest VBS story out there. See if you can top this one.
As some of you know, I grew up in a series of small towns. My dad was a small town school superintendent, which is something like growing up a preacher's kid except better in some ways (I always knew before school was cancelled), and worse in some ways (my dad was in charge of the largest employment center for miles around...i have many fun stories to relate later). One thing I discovered at a young age was the joy and consequences of catching people off balance. As with preacher's kids, many people had preconceived notions about me. Some of them were true, but I tried my best to prove them wrong. Even at the age of five.
We have always been Church of Christ. Which is good, because in Texas, every small town in the state has two churches, usually a Baptist Church and a Church of Christ, sometimes, if the town was big enough, maybe a Methodist church. Anyway, the first year my dad was Superitendent in Paradise Texas (think Blue Bell commercial), the Baptist church had their VBS. My parents couldn't wait to send me to show off my substantial Biblical knowledge. They had worked and worked with me since I was little. My mom taught all my classes, teaching intricate details and lessons about everything. So, off I went to the Baptist VBS sans my parents. They also wanted to show they trusted the people there, I guess. Who knows why, but I was off to Baptist VBS without them. As soon as we got there, I asked to go to the bathroom, and I was accompanied by two teenage girls. I walked into the bathroom, kicked open one of the bathroom doors, and shouted, "Is anyone in these damned stalls?" Silence filled the bathroom, followed by gasps. "We are telling on you," they shouted in singsong chorus. I think I was immediately sent home for polluting the Baptist Restrooms with foul language, because I don't recall anything about the subsequent VBS. I do remember a lecture from my mom about good and bad words, and when not to use such terms. Such as, church, VBS, and any time! I didn't get a spanking, because I cried so hard and felt so bad. But, I have never been invited back to another Baptist VBS. I am thankful Paige even let me participate in this one! So, that's my funny VBS story. Do any of you guys have any funny stories like that?

6 Comments:

Blogger astromack33 said...

A 1970s or early 80s small town vbs - with punch that never gets cold in styrofoam cups and the stale old cookies on a napkin can't be beat! I am surprised your parents would risk you being corrupted by the "other" vbs in town. there was no way I was ever allowed to go somewhere that heaven forbid might have music. Because right around the corner would be the dancing girls and then the puppets with alternative lifestyles. It was best to just make sure and only let me go to CoC VBS.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

I lOVE you jodi! You crack me up. Please don't corrupt the kids this week, what was that game you guys were playing anyway? That totally wasn't in the curriculum! You may be put on probation! I also heard that you were harrassing the boys...just don't use your potty mouth!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

HA! I love your stories of growing up in small towns. My parents were church dropouts for a long time so I can't really remember many VBS's....what heathens! I have conveniently been gone for the past two at Greenlawn, I know I 'm bad. My mom is active in church again and has helped the past several years now and we went to hers while at home. It seems they have gotten pretty elaborate with the decorating. I think I may just get involved next year! Its been at night for the last several years at our church and Its kind of at a bad time when you have little ones to be fed and put to bed.

7:54 AM  
Blogger amerriman said...

Too funny! Being a C of C too my whole life, I remember my mother giving me lecture after lecture about not walking down front at any other church to "accept" Jesus into your life! At the Baptist VBS one summer, there were only 2 of us left in pew - me and the Methodist preacher's daughter (I guess she got the lecture too!) It would be funny to hear what lectures people give their children when they attend our VBS!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Amy C said...

I got two spankings for cursing at school and both my parents taught in the same district. I wasn't allowed to attend any other churches either, maybe they knew the cat would officially be out of the bag about those corrupt CofC kids!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No Baptist VBS for me but I did attend Rosh Hashanah and celebrate the Sabbath at my friends house quite often. We lived in a neighborhood with several Hasidic Jews and at one point I was forbiddden to go to synagogue or any other Jewish event for fear that I would convert! That story is too funny of you, Jodi. Every time I hear a story from you, I like you even more! And I'm curious about these puppets with alternative lifestyles that Mike has been avoiding.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home