Literatimommy

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Jack's First Simile

Okay. You read that right. Not smile, but simile. Anyone who knows me knows I am a total English nerd. So, I have to document my son's first use of figurative language. What makes human language so profound is our ability to use language to express emotions by creating connections between how we feel and the world around us. Jack is obsessed with Thomas the Train. He loves it. We watch Thomas videos, read Thomas books, wear Thomas underwear and t-shirts. So, when I ask how he was feeling, he said he was happy like James (James the red engine). That was awesome. He has also been creating stories with his trains, introducing them to each other, creating problems for them to work through. (Cranky the Crane has a bad habit of magnetically capturing the trains to interrupt their deliveries and services). He even adds narrative endings like 'cried thomas' or 'cried henry'. It is so cute. He told me the other day he had to leave to go to work to help out the controller. He drove Henry through chocolate icing with my brother Cody, and his wife, Nicole at my mom's birthday party. (He thinks they are the coolest!) He also placed Bertie the Bus right in the middle of Nana's cake, but that's a whole other blog. In the mean time, may you all be as happy as James.

10 Comments:

Blogger Margaret K said...

I love your blog, Jodi. You really have a gift. You should write professionally.

9:54 AM  
Blogger 1literatimommy said...

Thanks M. You are so kind! I didn't realize that you blogged; I'm way behind the blogger loop. I just added you as a favorite!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

I love Jack and his love for TRAINS! Such a smart boy!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like Jack is as useful as Thomas with birthday cakes! :)

3:42 PM  
Blogger Amy C said...

Smart boy. I love how you observe your passion for literature in daily life. That is so funny. I love to see life from a fresh perspective!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Phillips Family said...

You better enter this into the ol baby book!

I just read your VBS blog and am laughing hysterically. I could relate to every single comment--from the memories of the generic chocolate chip cookies on napkins to being told never to go forward to "accept Jesus" while attending church with friends. Too funny!

6:31 PM  
Blogger astromack33 said...

I am glad Jack has a bit of the acting bug from his momma. It is fun to be in plays with him.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

Can I just say I am plain dumb! Today at lunch, we were discussing blogs, and how creative you are, when I said the last one I read was Jack's SMILE! Yes, I thought it said smile. I must be dumb as dirt. Thanks to good friends who are smarter than me and who can correct me when I fail! Love you! Did you get to reide the train? It was working when we left!

2:00 PM  
Blogger 1literatimommy said...

Paige,
you are in no way, shape or form as dumb as dirt! no way! You are my smart, practical and clever friend. Heaven help us all if misreading something makes us dumb!
We didn't ride the train, both jack and molly were so tired. (although we did buy a ticket.) we left pretty early. they are still wiped out from winters.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

Ha! I read it correctly however I still claim to not be smart enough to be your friend! I would never have thought about it and put it together if my child has or will make a simile! I wonder sometimes how I will function again in the business world after being out the past five years with more time spent with toddlers than adults! I am doing good to still know microsoft word and cannot even think about writing professionally or doing CAD again!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home