Literatimommy

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Very Busy Blogger

This month, the end of April through the beginning of May, is crazy for me. I am finishing up my paper for my Feminist Theory class and ending up my writing classes at TCC. I am writing my paper about a few theorists and utopia, or an impulse for an ideal world that is common to humanity. I am not sure it is working, but I am plodding a long very slowly. Mike took the kids to Winters to give me some time at home to write. IT was the first time I've been alone in my home for the night in five years or more! Being alone after so many years as a full time care taker was exhilarating and scary. I actually enjoyed the silence, which was nice. I did miss the kids so much, though. I kept the nursery at church on Saturday night and on Sunday morning, and just having those kiddos close to me helped quite a bit. I learned a lot this weekend alone in the house, and the main thing I learned is how desperately in love with my family I am. In the grind of sippy cups and spilled milk and laundry, it is easy to forget how precious they are. I am so blessed.
At the same time as I feel thankful for my family, my feminist theory class has been challenging me. I would say that many Christians have a false impression of feminism, because it has been so demonized by right wing conseratives who love to take swings at the feminists (just think of jerry falwell, who credited feminists and gays with the 9/11 attacks). To be honest, much feminist theory is thinking globally, about female genital mutilation, rape in darfur, the war in Iraq, Abu Gharib, poverty among women, having access to contraceptives for women and individuals we would deem children in third world countries, and environmental issues like creating a cleaner earth. I can't help but wonder why on earth the church doesn't intervene and discuss things like genocide in darfur or other things. My teacher (who is not a Christian) pointed out that in our society, it is difficult to imagine action outside of donating money. I totally agree with her. Because I believe so deeply that many Christians and empathetic, kind and truly care about women's issues, I will be posting some websites that you can visit if you are inclined to become aware of world issues. Although it has been very challenging, and I haven't agreed with every idea the class has put forward, I am very grateful for being informed on issues that I have mentioned. IT is easy to forget in our safe, beautiful homes with our sweet children that many women aren't as lucky/blessed as we are. I believe it is our duty as Christians to be aware of the poor and oppressed. We are supposed to be God's agents here on earth, and a big part of that is being aware of your neighbors in the suburbs as well as our neighbors overseas. I pray that God will continue to convict my heart and point out ways that I can improve to be more like Jesus, especially in light of atrocities and injustices abroad.

2 Comments:

Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

That was a great blog, Jodi - we really do need to know what goes on the the world - it does seems we only know through missiary work! How sad! I really love you and respect, and admire and I am so proud of you for thinking out sub-burbia. I'm also sorry I can't spell - oh well, I have never been able to - Love, Mama

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home