Literatimommy

Friday, August 25, 2006

Happy Birthday, Jackson Patrick

Tomorrow Jackson turns three years old. God has blessed my life so much in these three years, and I am grateful (as I know all moms are, and in a way only moms can understand) for his life, and that God lets me share in this precious time with him. Here is a poem I wrote in Oct., when Jack was only a few months old.

10-26-03

I will always remember you this way...
On a lazy, cool October day
You: a chubby cherub cheeked newborn,
Your fingers like sausages glow in the light
Of a dwindling fire as you sleep
Peacefully on your father's chest.

I ponder the mystery of the blessing that you are.
I long to ask God what I did
To deserve the perfection he delivered in you.
As you rise and fall on yourfather's chest,
In an earthly perfection only God can create,
I revel in a love and adoration
I never knew possible.

The fire produces a static symphony of a backdrop
And the dreary October day
Gives away no hint of the contentment you have brought into my life.
To watch you grow daily and know someday
You will be a man is a joy tinged with
Melancholy that steeps my soul in wonder and gratitude.

Someday, I know, in a very short time,
You will tower above me as a grown man
But I will not see the strong man you have become.
I will see an infant,
Rising and falling on his father's chest and I will ache with
A longing only a mother can know
For this dreary, rainy cold October day
When your sweet body gave way to sleep
On your father's chest.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy C said...

Your poem is beautiful. Your children are blessed with a really sweet and kind mother. I love the Galveston nakie booty blog too. They will love that just as much. HA ;)

5:16 PM  
Blogger angie c said...

Jodi, Such a beautiful poem! I'm just catching up on your blog and saw the beach pictures. Naked picture made me laugh out loud. Too cute. I'm sure that one will come in handy in a few years when they won't mind. You can threaten to show their teenage friends. . .

6:29 PM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

So sweet! I already long for those infant days again! Sort of. Not the sleepless nights but than little slumped snuggle. Happy Birthday Jackson!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Margaret K said...

That is so beautiful. Can you write one for me, too? What a special gift you have (your children & your writing).

7:31 PM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

You are such a talented friend!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Phillips Family said...

How beautiful!
Happy Birthday, Jack! (sorry your crab friend won't be able to celebrate with you :( )

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home