Literatimommy

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Our Anniversary Weekend

















Here are two pictures that best sum up our anniversary trip last month. Yes, it has taken a long time to blog about it, but the kids are away at nana's, so I have a little time.
The picture on the left is Van Gogh's reaper in a wheat field, which was the most amazing painting I saw at the Dallas Museum of Art, when the exhibition was open to the public. According to the DMA, it was the greatest compilation of Van Gogh's work the Southwest had seen in forty years. It was amazing. When we got to the museum, they had extended their hours because it was the last weekend the exhibit was open. We had to wait ten minutes to pay for parking, then pay thirty dollars to wait thirty minutes to see the exhibit. It was packed house! I also read that John Mayer saw the exhibit that night, but I don't know if that is true or not.
I was really tired from the day, but we waited and went in. The whole exhibit, as the name suggests, was a collection of Van Gogh's--as well as painters who were influential during his time, paintings of peasants and reapers working in the wheat field. If you notice in the picture, the reaper is painted to be in equal size as the wheat. This was not on accident. The museum had letters that Vincent wrote to his brother Theo, stating that he saw the metaphor for life and death in the wheat fields. As usual, the reaper represents death, but Van Gogh, looking out on the wheat fields that surrounded the hospital he was in, drew from the reaper that it was not larger than mankind, and in another season, the wheat would return. Through this painting, he is showing how he has come to terms with death and saw it as a part of life, and that generations of men would come after him, only to face the reaper, who was just a part of life, not larger than life. Basically, like the Blue Oyster Cult Band Song, he was saying to his brother, I "Don't fear the reaper". (a little low brow, but you know that song, and the will ferrell skit that is so hilarious about the cow bell). It was moving, and seeing the wheat that was reaped made me think of my faith, and how God has seen generations on the earth go before me, and he has planted generations that will grow beyond me. It was deep, and I actually cried when I saw this particular painting. Another really cool thing was that other painters of the time focused on the peasants who worked in the fields, giving the poor, women and children a "voice" through art. I really enjoyed it, and I am looking forward to seeing the Matisse exhibit, too. I have always wanted to go to the Nasher Sculpture center, and I hope I get to see Matisse's sculptures, too.
We left the exhibit about 9:30 and decided to stay in Hillsboro. That next morning, we were on our way to the Lost Pines, a Hyatt resort. It exceeded our expectations in every way, exhibit we had to carry our bags all the way to our rooms, because we were too cheap to valet.
When we got to the resort, it had a Northeastern, New York campy feel to it. Only its history is all Texas baby! It was right on the Colorado River, and you could horseback ride, play tennis, hike, bike, swim (the pool was open and it was warm that Friday). Mike and I took our own breakfasts , Kolaches from West, so we wouldn't have to pay for breakfast. That was a smart idea, because the resort was super nice, and that means expensive foods. We stuck to the cheaper restaurants (I think there were like five or six), and we mostly hung out in Spa Django, which is free with your room. The women's spa room had a huge covered patio with a hot tub underneath the covering, with a room with a fire place, Tazo teas, coffees and whatever you could want to drink . I stayed there while I lounged in my robe. The work out center was free, too. Anyway, I was a total hog and got two massages. They were great. The grounds were lovely, and there is a huge playground for kids. They even offer baby sitting if you take your kids and want to jaunt off with your spouse for a meal alone. The coolest thing was how friendly the staff was. Everyone you encountered said hello, how is it going, and had a big friendly Texas Smile. I think the guests were happy too, because everyone we saw was smiling like they'd just arrived at Shangra La. I will definitely go back and take Jack and Molly. The pool area was actually like five pools and hot tubs, with bridges over beautifully native landscaped shrubs and flowers. The kiddy pool was heated and had a sand pit right by it. Another good thing about getting married in January, no one shares your anniversary, so we had the place almost to ourselves. Many of the people who worked there assured me that in the summer, it is really packed.
Anyway, our trip was great! We will go back again, I hope, in the fall with the kids.
I hope you enjoy the pics. As a rule, Mike and I don't take cameras on most of our vacations, or if we do, we forget that we even have them. So, I don't have any authentic pictures to show you!
And, thanks Mike for cashing in your frequent flier miles so we could have a free trip. I loved it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Renee said...

I am glad that you and Mike were able to get some real R/R and in such a fun way! I used to go to the DMA on a regular basis. My office building was directly across the street from it and Bethany and I got memberships and would go to exhibits on our lunch. There are a lot of things that I miss about working downtown, just not the commute!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Amy C said...

That is amazing! I love art. If you ever want to visit an exhibit during the day, I would love to get rid of a kid or two and join you. THanks for the shout out on the resort too. THat sounds amazing, and so relaxing.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Margaret K said...

What an awesome weekend! I love Van Gogh, too, but sadly never made it to the exhibit.

11:23 AM  
Blogger jenny biz said...

Happy Anniversary!! Sounds like you guys celebrated with a lot of fun!!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home