Literatimommy

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

10 year anniversary

On January 4, 1997, Mike and I married in the First Christian Church in Post, (because I had a stringed quartet, and the c of c was acapella only). It was by far the best decision I've ever made in my life. If you know my husband, you know of his quiet, patient and slightly sarcastic style. He has treated me with such kindness and love over the past decade. He is tender, but not suffocating, understanding, but challenging, supportive but not helicopterish. We met when we were 19 years old at ACU. Although I still resent the strong opposition we faced as we prepared to get engaged and marry, I understand how some might doubt that you can discover true love as a teenager. I discovered that true love was nothing like I imagined it: I wasn't swept off my feet by sonnets and serenades! I was taken aback by Mike's humble, kind personality, and by his rock solidness.
To me, he is what every man should strive to be. He leads our house with gentleness and compassion, constantly putting his wants and needs second and third to the kids and me. He is unafraid to challenge my thoughts, but never does it with yelling and belittling. He has become a champion of women's rights, quietly urging all men to put their wives first and constantly assuring me that what I as a woman believe, feel and think is valuable and honorable. He is the head of the household because he is Christ-like in his leadership. Which means he leads by example. Not by reminding me ever that there is a heirarchy to which I should submit.
His intelligence is amazing. God has blessed him with the ability to acclimate to many different jobs. I am so thankful for this! He can switch between being the director of financial reporting, to helping me organize Molly's chest of drawers. He can interact with CEOs and managers just as easily as he interacts with his son, as he acts out the Cars movie. He nudges all these interactions with a soft spoken confidence that melts my heart and soul.
After our first date, (cokes at the Whataburger on Judge Ely), I knew I wanted to marry him. He was happy, smart, had a surprising faith and a wit to go with it, and didn't need me for any fixing! I was charmed and in love, and I predicted that we would marry. And, I am so glad that we did.
Some people fall in love across a room; and I remember seeing him and thinking he was cute. But, when I got to know him, I knew my life would be much worse without him. He is my rock! I am the flaky artsy one who changes her career goals as frequently as the weather, he is the one who supports me and never points this out to me. He is who he has been since I have known him, although he has grown up a little, he is still the teenager I fell in love with. I am so thankful to God for bringing us together and for blessing our marriage with children, and in countless little ways and big ways.
When I was in high school, I was into destiny, poetry and true love. I prayed every night that God would send my true love. I know this seems so immature, but I am confident that God is never judgemental of prayers that are earnest. I earnestly wanted to be with someone that I felt was my true love. When I look at Mike, and watch him when he thinks I am just reading a book or magazine, I know for certain that God has answered that prayer, plus a thousand others that in my mind I never thought to pray. He is a great father, and husband, and person. I am lucky to have spent the last 10 years married to him!

4 Comments:

Blogger Pearson Family said...

10 YEARS!! Wow! Your guys must be old! Congratulations and again, so beautifully wrote. May God continue to bless your union!

6:15 AM  
Blogger Margaret K said...

Congratulations! You guys are a great couple.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

Happy 10th Anniversary! Now I feel old! I am pretty sure you were already dating when I met you so I don't really know you without a Mike! The fact that we were house-mates, make him very much apart of many fun memories I have of college. Do you remember the time we (well yall) were watching Jeapordy and Mike knew every last question and how mad Mandy was getting??!! He later admitted he had seen that one- I was laughing so hard! I think we went on a few double dates too with various dead ends for me! I was going through old pictures the other day and found some from your pass the candle!!!! The look on your face is precious! I need to mail them to you. You two truely compliment each other in so many ways. I feel so honored to have been there that day in Post. God Bless as you grow together..........

1:35 PM  
Blogger 1literatimommy said...

Thanks Lisa. I almost wrote a blog about the people who shared that wonderful day with me. It is so special to remember you with me through our (me and mike) arguments, as well as the special times we had. I am so glad we have shared so much like that! (I remember your wedding shower :))) And, I remember you organizing Heather's shower, too. You are such a neat person.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home