Literatimommy

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Jack's new school

I have been trying to blog about our anniversary trip: it was so cool, but I haven't been able to upload the Van Goghs that we saw when we went to the Dallas Museum of Art exhibit on Thursday night. That was the last weekend, and we had to wait in lines for almost 45 minutes. It was amazing, and I'll write more about it and the Hyatt Lost Pines in Bastrop later. Today, I just picked up Jackson from his second day of new school at Highland Meadows Christian Church. It is an amazing school. His first day, he cried for about one minute, and then became lost in rodeo day. They had real pony rides, tricycle and stick horse races, among other things. His teacher, Miss Bessie is amazing. She had been teaching art at Faith Christian School, but now is at Highland Meadows. She obviously has the class under control, and Jackson loves her! Today, he was the mailman and was so happy. Each day when I have gone to pick him up, he is asleep, zonked out on the cute Veggie Tales mat his nanna made, covered up tight in his Cars Quilt with his head on his Cars pillow. The school seems really well organized, and Jackson's class is made up of August birthdays. I really feel like it is an answer to prayers. I know I have a few readers who are preschool teachers, and let me just assure you how much of a difference you make in the lives of your students! We feel Ms. Bessie is an answer to prayers, as well as her helper, Ms. Marcy. She is kind but firm, and she told me her first 3 year old class is now in middle school! It is such a relief to see him happy in a place without me. He now feels more confident and happy that he has friends at school. So, to all you preschool teachers (for sure, I know of PP and LP) your kindness and compassion is a God given gift, and I know your students and their parents appreciate it as much as I do.
Just a note about the preschool: it is located at Highland Meadows Christian Church, and it is also NAEYC certified, which isn't easy to do. The director of the school is amazing as well. She is confident but not overly effuse. She is proud of her school and her teachers, and she reminds me of a principal I taught for, J. Lin. in AISD, who ran a very effective school for many years. The atmosphere of Highland Meadows Christian School seems to be calm, relaxed, but disciplined. The school offers a Friday class for 3 and 4 year olds to learn Spanish, computers and a lot of focused science. I am pleased with the first two days, mostly because Jackson was too busy to notice I wasn't there, and too involved delivering the mail, riding stick horses, reading, counting, learning about what crops Texas produce and about how God loves us to care that I wasn't there. It gave me lots of time with just Molly, which was a wonderful. WE did Yoga, and although it was supposed to be relaxing, mostly I had to watch out for Molly's pouncing on me like Tigger! But, that is probably another blog, about a Yoga pose with one eye opened. Perhaps it should be named, down dog, head slightly erect and eye following onery 18 month old!
I'll post soon about the vacation, and Nanna and Papa, whom my children adore!

5 Comments:

Blogger Pearson Family said...

Jodi I am so happy that Jackson is enjoying his new preschool!!!It sound just wonderful! I know your heart is at peace about it. Glad you guys had a great anniversary trip!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Amy C said...

Glad you had a great anniversary, and congrats on a great new preschool. I have had similar yoga experiences with my children. THey loved it though. I would love to hear more about it.

5:38 PM  
Blogger jenny biz said...

so good you found such a great school for Jackson! I loved all of Malaya's preschool experiences. Such formational years!! I actually tried yoga for the first time today! I tivo'd it at home. IT WAS HARD!! I was trying to be very graceful with the positions but I had to keep looking up at the tv to see what they were doing. My mind, body, and soul did not feel very relaxed afterwards!! I will have to try again:)

8:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a great school! I'm impressed with the mother/daughter yoga.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Margaret K said...

Sounds like a great school. Glad he is loving it. I know what a relief it must be.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home