Literatimommy

Monday, January 22, 2007

Identity Experiment

In my very cool, interesting class this semester, we are examining American Indian identity as attained and portrayed through various forms of autobiography. To begin the class, my very clever professor handed out a sheet that contained anecdotes about various guest speakers we were to have. The anecdotes were often times oppositional, for example, one guest lecturer was so poor he worked as a farm hand in New Mexico for 10 dollars a week, while another guest lecturer attendedHarvard and had lived internationally, and his wife has given away millions of dollars. The punch line? It was all experiences he had in his life. Our assignment was to create a similar page of identities.

For example:
: acted as a chauffuer on the autobahn, is wanted by the police in Switzerland
: award winning cake baker whose creations have sold for as much as 125 dollars.
:almost failed kindergarten, painfully average student whose whole goal for high school was to attend four proms.
: holds two college degrees and is working on a third.

All of these are small happenings in my life. If you read one of them, you begin to formulate a picture about my life. If you don't know me, you might assume that I am Rachael Ray, or that I was shallow in high school. This whole experiment got me thinking about my walk as a Christian. In my life, I have behaved horribly at times. I have done things that would certainly make people think that I am not a Christian, nor would they witness at that moment the wonderful things Christ has done for me. In the same vein, I have done some really churchy things, like attended chapel every day at a Christian school, or worked with inner city youth through a church program. I think that this identity experiment reminds me why it is important not to judge other's based on a short dialogue or experience I share with them. I was reading in the Bible the other day in Proverbs, and the scripture said something like do not remember every word that people say, because when they curse you, you will not forget it and will hold it against them, all the while knowing that you yourself have cursed others who should then hold this against you. We all fall short of the goal set by Christ when attempting to be Christians. That is why we needed his redeeming, amazing love and sacrifice. I am constantly amazed by how God teaches me through my school experiences, and I am really thankful for his lessons.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy C said...

If only I had gotten something so profound from school. I like your thoughts.

I was thinking of you the other day while doing the Beth Moore Daniel study. I think you would LOVE it.

Call me sometime if you want to know why specifically.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an interesting exercise. By the way, I think that was quite a lofty high school goal.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

Very interesting.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

Who knew?! So interesting!

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home